If you’re running a website with multiple authors, having a well-organized GeneratePress author page is a must. We’re going to have a look together with The Admin Bar on how you can improve your GeneratePress author page using GenerateBlocks.
Understanding the Default GeneratePress Author Page
The GeneratePress theme comes with a default author page. It’s functional, but it’s quite basic. If you want to add your own personal touch, you’re going to need GenerateBlocks.
Building a Custom GeneratePress Author Page
Here’s how you can create a custom author page:
- Go to Appearance > Elements and add a new Element.
- Choose ‘Block’ as the Element Type and click on ‘Create’.
- Give the template a title.
- Under ‘Element’ change the Element Type to ‘Loop template’.
- Set the display rules and location to ‘author archives’.
- Start building your page layout using GenerateBlocks. You can create a section with an inner section and give it some padding.
Customizing the Author Information on Your GeneratePress Author Page
The author information section is where we’ll display the author’s image, name, and bio. Here’s how you can customize it:
- Add a grid block with two columns. Set the width of the left column to 33% and the right column to 66%.
- In the left column, add the author image using the GenerateBlocks image block. Enable dynamic data and set the image source to ‘author avatar’.
- Add the author’s name using the headline block. Enable dynamic data and set the content source to ‘name’.
- Add the author bio using another headline block. Use the ‘author meta’ field and set the meta key to ‘description’.
Creating a Query Loop for the Author’s Posts on Your GeneratePress Archive Page
Next, we’re going to create a query loop for the author’s posts. This will display all the posts for the author. Here’s how you do it:
- In the right column, add a query loop block.
- Enable the ‘Inherit query from template’ option.
- Design the layout for the posts. You can add an image block and a headline block for the post title. Enable dynamic data for both blocks and set the image source to ‘featured image’ and the content source to ‘post title’.
- Make sure the entire box links to the single post by enabling dynamic data for the post template and setting the link source to ‘single post’.
Previewing and Adjusting the Custom Template on Your GeneratePress Archive Page
Now that we’ve built our custom template, it’s time to preview it and make any necessary adjustments. Remember to test the template with different author profiles to ensure it works well for everyone.
Making Your Author Page Even More Engaging
Want to make your author page even more engaging? Consider adding a few extra features:
- Social media links
If your authors are active on social media, add links to their profiles. This allows your readers to connect with them on different platforms.
- Author’s latest posts
Highlight the author’s latest posts to give readers a quick look at their most recent work.
- Author’s most popular posts
Showcase the author’s most popular posts to attract more readers.
- A contact form
If your authors are open to it, include a contact form that readers can use to get in touch with them.
In conclusion, customizing your GeneratePress author page with GenerateBlocks is not just about aesthetics, it’s about enhancing the user experience on your website. By creating a well-organized and visually appealing author page, you’re making it easier for your readers to find more content from their favorite authors.
Remember, the key to a successful customization is understanding how to use GenerateBlocks effectively. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different layouts and designs until you find what works best for your website.
One last tip: keep your author pages updated. Make sure the author’s bio is current and their photo is recent. This not only keeps your website looking fresh, but it also shows your readers that you value your authors and the content they create.